what i'm reading
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one" - George R. R. Martin
Oops, so I forgot to post on here didn't I....
As a means of procrastinating I've rediscovered my love for reading (ironic since my degree is based on the readings I have to do). After hitting up a few charity shops I've got an exciting range of books queued up to read, so I thought I'd share this list of upcoming reads...
The book I'm currently reading is What Happened, by Hillary Rodham Clinton. As a politics student and feminist, Clinton's account and reflection of the 2016 election had great appeal to me. I'm only around 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it to an extent. On the one hand it's great to see an inside perspective of the American political system and electoral system, especially having studied the election as it was happening. However, a lot of the book is listing who she recruited for what (which I suppose is nice if you're the person that gets a mention, but as a reader seems slightly irrelevant and like page filler) and just plain repetition.
I'm only 1/5 of the way in but What Happened has already inspired me to buy more books (oh dear). Now I'm on the look out for works about Harriet Tubman and other abolitionists and civil rights icons, On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder, and varies books by Maya Angelou. Might not have time to write a dissertation with all this....
Overall it's an interesting read and I would recommend it to my politically minded friends!
Because I'm your classic Type B personality I am, of course, reading multiple books at once (despite all efforts on my part). A few weeks ago I managed to pick up a lovely Penguin edition of Jane Eyre. As I never read this in school I didn't have the hatred towards it studying a book seems to foster. I'm around a quarter of the way through and I am enjoying it but I'm finding it difficult to binge read it. Definitely a book for a rainy Sunday when I'm feeling whimsical and don't mind reading a book in which three-page long descriptions of the weather are normal.
Overall, I definitely want to finish it because it's such a classic I feel like I have to but I doubt I'll read it again.
So the first book in my queue is Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I looooove the Jurassic Park films so much. My mum and I go to see the new series when they come out and we love it (we're already looking forward to the next Jurassic World!). I've loved dinosaurs since I was little and I love adventure stories so I can't wait to get started on this.
During my charity shop explorations I needed an extra book to take advantage of a 3 for 2 offer and chose this book. The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl is about a group of scholars trying to introduce Dante's Inferno into America (i think) then someone gets murdered (I think). As a massive Dan Brown fan and fan of Dante's Inferno this sounded like something right up my street. Hopefully it will be a thrilling read!
Last on my list is an absolute classic, Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. A few months ago I read a book in which a girl reads 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea and it sounded like a fun adventure and, since this has been sat gathering dust on my shelf it's time to commit to reading it!





Comments
Post a Comment